Monday, 3 December 2007

Poots young earth nonsense makes me ashamed

I want to be proud of coming from Northern Ireland, really I do. I am eager to tell people where I come from and I will defend this place when I think that it is being unjustly criticised. When David Healy fires in another winning goal and reacts with self-deprecation, it is easy to be proud of our province and the qualities of its people.

But for every David Healy, there is also an Edwin Poots. An imbecile propounding a particular combination of truculence and illogicality, which unfortunately is as characteristic of a great many Northern Irish people as is the unassuming modesty of Sir Dave.

Poots is Northern Ireland’s culture minister. Poots is not especially interested in a wide range of cultural pursuits. Poots also believes that the earth is 5,000 years old, that dinosaurs co-existed with human beings and that our world and everything in it was created in 6 days. Poots makes me profoundly ashamed.

2 comments:

Hernandez said...

I find this comment extraordinary:

"Edwin Poots: Matthew, you're telling me that cosmic balls of dust gathered and there was an explosion. We've had lots of explosions in Northern Ireland and I've never seen anything come out of that that was good. And you look at this earth and you tell me that there was a big bang and all of a sudden all tat is good about this earth came out of it?"

No Edwin, it's much more likely that a man with a big white beard created it all in 6 days by clicking his fingers.

Astonishing! I can't believe that a Government minister could come out with such utter shite. Although as a few of the comments have mentioned, who is worse - the lunatic Poots or the electorate who voted him in? This moron must be removed at the next election.

Chekov said...

Unfortunately this type of nutterdom does not seem to prohibit the Northern Irish electorate at the ballot box. Unless you really do step preposterously over the line. A DUP council in Ballymena were once deposed after they had blocked an ELO concert in the town citing "drugs, devilment and debauchery"!!! There's a high proportion of people that maintain some manner of superstitious connection with fundamentalism even if they don't adhere to the lifestyle it dictates.